The Halide Project is hosting FREE FILM: USA on their penultimate stop as they tour the country distributing and processing free rolls of 35mm film for a nationwide project. The FREE FILM: USA converted mobile-darkroom Airstream trailer will be parked at The Halide Project, at 1627 N 2nd Street, this Wednesday through Sunday, November 20th – 24th.
- Opening Night Party: Wednesday, November 20th, 5-9pm
- Film Distribution: Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday, 1-7pm
- Film Return: Saturday and Sunday, 12pm-2pm, or use the 24 hour drop-box by the deadline
How it Works:
- PICK UP – Come by starting Wenesday, November 20th to pick up your FREE 35mm black-and-white film and fill out the online form.
- SHOOT – Take a few days to photograph on the theme Red, White, and Blue, interpreting the theme as you choose, from documenting your personal daily life experience in America to speaking on the subject in a broad or conceptual way—the words, the phrase, the place, the dream, the reality. Be creative and be yourself!
- RETURN – Film must be returned in person by 2pm, Sunday, November 24th.
- FREE FILM: USA will process and print selected works for an upcoming national exhibition and book!
Note: When you sign-up you can opt to have your negatives returned to you after processing. You retain the rights and credits to your work and grant usage licenses to the producers. Any recognizable persons in your photos (or their guardians if underage) must be prepared to submit a model release upon request.
FREE FILM: USA is working with the Ford Motor Company, Matchabar, and Pro Photo Supply. The Philadelphia visit is offered in collaboration with The Halide Project, Shift Capital, and Maken Studios.